Even though it’s a relatively new budget smartphone, launched just a few weeks ago, developers got their hands on the new Moto G5 and G5 Plus and managed to get the max out of them. To be more specific, we’re talking about a way to root Moto G5 Plus, which allows you to eventually test custom ROMs and many more.
The actual process is very simple and everything you need to do is follow the steps in our guide below. However, before doing this, you need to check out our guide on how to unlock the bootloader of Moto G5 and G5 Plus. Then, after rooting your phone, you’re all good to go!
Here you can find a list with all the advantages a rooted handset has:
- It allows you to install a custom ROM, as well as a custom kernel, resulting in faster and better performance
- You can block ads, using an ad blocker
- You can increase performance and battery life, by closing processes rolling in the background automatically
- You can install the Xposed Framework, perfect for customizing your device to a whole new level
- You can restore all your apps and data, using Titanium Backup
- You can get rid of all the bloatware apps
Please consider the following aspects, in order to avoid any issues during the installation:
- This method works just for the Moto G5 Plus, so don’t try it on other smartphones
- The rooting process will void your phone’s warranty, without the possibility of claiming it back
- The process will completely erase the data on your phone, so our advice is to take a full backup of the phone before starting
- Make sure that your battery level is around 50-60%, so you can prevent an accidental shutdown, in the middle of the process.
Download Required Files
Magisk v11.6.zip – Download
No-Verity-Opt-Encrypt-5.1.zip – Download
Procedure To Root Moto G5 Plus
Step 1: Download the Magisk v11.6.zip.file and the no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip file from above.
Step 2: Boot your Moto G5 Plus into TWRP Recovery mode.
Step 3: While in TWRP, tap on “Never show this screen on boot again”, the swipe in order to confirm the modification.
Step 4: Go to the Wipe menu and tap “Format Data”, then confirm.
Step 5: Reboot TWRP into Recovery mode, the copy the Magisk v11.6.zip file and no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip files on your phone’s memory.
Step 6: Go to Install Zip and select no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip, then flash it.
Step 7: Reboot your phone and while the device boots up, reboot into TWRP.
Step 8: Flash the Magisk V11.6.zip.file.
Step 9: Go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe and wipe cache and Dalvik cache.
Step 10: Reboot your phone.
Step 11: When your phone starts, open the Magisk Manager app.
And this is it, you have successfully rooted Moto G5 Plus! If you encounter any issues, feel free to contact us, by dropping a few lines in the comments section below!