Launched back in 2013, the Sony Xperia M is one of the manufacturer’s most popular mid-range models and out of the box it was running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, on operating system which can be considered outdated nowadays. However, the good news is that you can currently update Sony Xperia M to Android 7.0 Nougat, as an unofficial AOSP ROM is already available!
Just like the ROMs for the OnePlus One and Nexus 5, the Android 7.0 Nougat ROM for Sony Xperia M was released as an initial build by an XDA member. Also, in order to install it, your phone needs to be rooted and have TWRP installed. If you’re OK from these points of view, you can proceed to installing. However, there are a few details you should consider before doing it…
Warnings & Requirements
Since the ROM we’re talking about is just an initial alpha build for the Xperia M, it’s obvious that it lacks several features. However, it’s usable and you can at least try it on your phone. Also, consider that it will be improved over time, until you will be able to enjoy a full Android 7.0 Nougat experience.
Here you can find a complete list with all the features that are working correctly:
- Calls, SMS, Mobile Data
- Camera (just for taking photos)
- Audio and video
- Bluetooth & Bluetooth Audio
- OpenGL rendering
- Sensors (accelerometer,compass,light,proximity)
- SD Card
- Auto brightness
- Notification led
Like mentioned above, some features aren’t working yet:
- The stock music app has bugs, so it’s recommended to use a 3rd party one
- The LEDs don’t work during boot
- The ROM doesn’t work on the Xperia M Dual.
Also, here are a few important aspects you need to consider before installing Android 7.0 Nougat ROM on Sony Xperia M:
- The ROM works just for the Xperia M. Don’t install it on other phones.
- It works just if you have the 4.3 baseband or above.
- Follow these steps correctly, otherwise you risk bricking the phone.
- The update will completely erase your data, so it’s advisable to perform a complete backup, then proceed.
- Make sure your battery level is above 50% before starting. However, our recommendation would be to start with a fully charged battery, in order to avoid an accidental shutdown.
Download Android 7.0 Nougat For Sony Xperia M
How to install Android 7.0 Nougat on Sony Xperia M
Step 1: Download and install a custom recovery on your phone. If you already have one, skip this step.
Step 2: Download the Android 7.0 Nougat ROM for Sony Xperia M and save it on your device.
Step 3: Download Gapps for your device here – Download Gapps For CM14 ROM/Android 7.0 Nougat
Step 4: Boot your device into Recovery mode, by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Button
Step 5: While in TWRP, perform a Nandroid backup, so you can keep all your data safe.
Step 6: Do a Factory Reset. Go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe and select Wipe cache, Dalvik cache and System. Swipe in order to confirm.
Step 7: Go to install and locate the Android 7.0 Nougat ROM zip file. Swipe in order to install. The process should take around 10 minutes.
Step 8: After the installation is complete, flash the Gapps zip file.
Step 9: Go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe again, but this time select only Cache and Dalvik cache. Swipe in order to confirm.
Step 10: Reboot your Sony Xperia M in order to complete the process.
That’s it, you have successfully installed Android 7.0 Nougat ROM on your Sony Xperia M. Like always, the comments section is open. If you’re experimenting any issues during the updating process, feel free to drop us a few lines.