As we all know that Sony Xperia XZ would get Android Oreo update officially in near future, however, the confirmation is still pending from company side. But believing on leaked reports, Sony would roll out Android Oreo update for Xperia XZ and other for other devices by the end of this year. So, waiting for few months for the official Android Oreo update is not a bad idea.
However, if you just can’t wait to taste the features of Android Oreo, then surely you can install a custom ROM, AOSP 8.0 ROM, which is based on Android Oreo, on your device. The AOSP 8.0 ROM for Xperia XZ is shared by a well-known XDA developer, fastbooking. According to the details, this ROM contains all the important features of Android Oreo, be it picture-in-picture mode or the notification dots.
The details also suggest that there might be some bugs, which will be sorted out with future updates/upgrades. So, if you really want to enjoy Andoird Oreo features, go ahead and follow the instructions to get it installed on your device.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Installation:
- Installing a new ROM requires root access and the process also deletes the entire data, so it is advised to create a full backup of your device.
- The ROM is specially designed for Xperia XZ, hence do not try to install on other devices.
- The ROM is built on Android Oreo and may contain some bugs.
- Make sure that your device is at least 60% charged.
- Follow each and every step very carefully. We are not responsible for any type of mishappening to your device.
Download Android Oreo for Xperia XZ
- First, you need to download and install a custom recovery on your device. If you already have one, skip this step.
- Download the GApps and Magisk and transfer to device’s external storage.
- Now, turn on the “USB Debugging” and “OEM Unlocking” from Settings > Developer Options. If you don’t see “Developer Options”, go to “About Phone” and click seven times on “Build Number”.
- Once done, install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC and then restart it. If you already have it installed, skip this step.
- Go to the installation folder of “adb”, sitting inside installation directory. For Windows, it’s in C > adb.
- Now, download Android Oreo for Xperia XZ from given a link and transfer & extract in the “adb” folder.
- Now, open “Command Window” in the same folder. Press and hold “Shift” and “Right-Click” on the mouse, anywhere in the blank section of “abd” folder window and select “Open Command Window Here”.
- Connect your device to PC and write command “adb reboot bootloader” on command to get into fastboot mode.
- Now, to check whether the connection is working properly or not, write command “fastboot devices”, which will throw the serial number of your device, if it is connected properly.
- Now, execute the below-listed commands one by one.
fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once everything is finished. Reboot your device in recovery mode and flash the GApps and then Magisk.
- Once done, wipe cache & Dalvik cache from “Advanced Wipe” option and then reboot your device.
- Whoaaah !! Your device now runs on AOSP 8.0 ROM.